Sunday, October 22, 2006

Killer Frost

Well, I should be thankful that I had tomoatoes and peppers still coming until late October! Last night was our first real frost that killed the veggie plants and the morning glories. Some other plants look a little droopy too. I'm hoping that the mums I just planted in the front yard will be revived by the sun and moderate warmth of the next few days.

Max's parents will be here this week (coming Wed) and staying just a couple of days for Max's pinning on ceremony for Major. He'll be "Major Max." We'll be seeing them probably a couple more times in the next couple of months, for hunting-in-Colorado and holiday reasons.

I miss you Mom and Dad in Boston, and hope I can see you soon too!

BTW, does anyone have any insight as to whether I can pick green tomatoes and have them ripen off the vine? Are they any good after that? Is it worth trying? I had about 30 big tomatoes still growing on my plants, but I picked about half of them off after the frost last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My grandmother let her green tomatoes ripen inside at frost time. I don't remember how. It seems to me like it had something to do with newspaper and a cardboard box. Or was it the window sill?

stephanie