Monday, January 23, 2006

Tornado warning!

I may have had my eye sight fixed, but now I've lost my hearing. JB, Gloria, and I went to a new park (new for us) called High Park in Derby. It has two playgrounds. Apparently the one we chose has the tornado siren right next to it because we all pretty much got our ears blasted.

No one else was at the park except for us. We were playing near the swings when a horn started up, not very loud at first, but then it got really loud, so loud that Gloria stopped what she was doing, made a 180 and made a b-line for Mommy. I could see she was crying because her mouth was wide open and she had a distressed look, but I couldn't hear her over the siren. The horn head is on a pole higher than the trees and was turning round and round. Every time it was pointed our way, it hurt my ears. I'd have to say it was the loudest thing I've ever experienced (Max says 150 decibles, 50% more loud than a shotgun blast).

I covered Gloria's ears as soon as I could and yelled to JB to cover his because I new the siren head would be coming around again. As I had my hands on Gloria's ears, I couldn't cover mine so I grabbed the kids and ran to the car. Boy, it was nice to be in the car. It was still loud, but didn't hurt anymore. I looked at my watch, 12:03 pm, and looked at the sky which was perfectly clear. It was a test. Although I'm glad they test them around here, I'll just make sure next time I'm not right next to the siren at noon on a week day (I think it may be Mondays and Wednesdays at noon depending on the weather.)

Anyway, it's been 55 minutes since the siren and JB is still talking about the tornado that got scared away by the siren. I can tell you it scared us away! Somehow, without my having to explain, JB knows that tornados "break trees." I'm glad we have a system where we can be warned about the tornado because I'd sure rather get my ears blasted than have me or the kids or anyone be picked up by a swirling monster.

We're not in Virginia anymore Todo (or should I say, Zephyr).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's what the sirens are for...scaring tornados away! That is very cute!

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

hi Tamsey
I am Sheryl (Loni's and Benji's mother)
(Jessie's x roommates)
Your Mom has let me read your Blog and Max's writing from the sandbox
Winter here in Boston has been quite depressing and the highlight for me was reading about your families adventures
I hope you don't mind...but I really enjoy it
Your family is beautiful and you write about them with so much love its a joy to read.

Keep writing because I look forward to
"The Adventures of Tamsey Bremmer"

Sheryl