Friday, December 16, 2005

A different "look" for Tamsey

I can see! My appointment with Dr Patel this morning showed that I have 20/25 vision and that could get better. My left eye is a bit worse than my right eye partly because it is drier and it always has been my worse eye. After some healing and decrease of the dryness, I could be seeing 20/20. Right now it seems to me as though I can see as well as I could with my contacts, but no hassle of contacts and no hassle of glasses!

I slept all the way back in the car and Max immediately guided me upstairs when we got home and "installed" me in bed. I tried to keep my eyes closed for the rest of the evening and had a good sleep last night, which helps with the initial healing.
This picture of me standing up was right after the surgery. My vision was very hazy and my legs were wobbly from the Valium. I guess I could call my physical state as "floppy".
The surgery itself was a little scary to me at parts because I didn't know if I was doing everything right. There wasn't a whole lot I had to do besides look at the blinking light and respond to her directions about how to move my head. I did read a lot about the surgery beforehand and talked to a lot of people who had it done, but I wish I had watched a surgery, either online or at a clinic. I think it would've made me more relaxed during the surgery. Dr Patel said she could tell I was stressed at some points because of my eye movements.

However, everything seems to have turned out well and the flaps are sealed but not healed yet...that will take a few months. For now I have a lot of different drops to put in my eyes to keep them healthy and healing and I cannot rub my eyes for 3-5 months or swim or scubadive for two weeks. I also get to wear some "sexy" plastic and foam goggles to bed for the next week.

It is definitely all worth it to be able to see on my own and not have to hassle with contacts or glasses. I even got to drive myself to my appointment this morning, which was very cool. It is amazing how God made our eyes to adapt and heal so well and made people's brains to figure out how to fix loss of vision.

Max took these pictures my eye surgery from behind the glass. For a lot of the time it was dark in the room but those pictures didn't turn out so well since Max couldn't use the flash. It's interesting to see the pictures now because I could hardly see the room at all when I was in there.

1 comment:

Cami Bremer said...

Yeah I'm so glad you're happy with it. Indeed, a gift from God (and Max)! Enjoy rediscovering all the beautful things around you in the next few weeks as your vision gets even clearer. Much love--Cami