Friday, June 23, 2006

Garden

Every day I enjoy going outside and checking out the garden. I pull weeds, direct the meandering cucumber vines up the trellis, look to see what new fruit or flowers there are, and pick any that are ripe. So far we have been inundated with radishes and salad greens. In the not-to-distant future we are going to be drowning in cucumbers and possibly tomatoes. I know there will be ripe tomoatos because there are many on the plants that are green, but I can't say that we will definitely be drowning in those like we will the cucumbers. I just picked a cucumber today that I had no idea was growing that big already. I was searching under the big leaves and found this monster:
All of the other ones growing are still about the length of a finger. I was resisting the idea of making pickles, but I think I will have to. I had Justin send me his favorite recipe for pickles. Max, JB, and Gloria love pickles, so I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Here is a full view of our garden. On the far right are the tomatoes, then the peppers, then the cucumbers. In the garden bed on the left, we have two different kinds of corn, carrots, radishes, salad greens, onions, more cucumber vines in the back, and sunflowers (tall and dwarf).

The corn stalks have several ears growing on them, but many stalks don't have anything. I think we planted them too close together, even though I did brutally thin them in May (just not enough).

Here is our first tall sunflower:

Does anyone know, is it normal to not have any peppers on my pepper plants at this point (not even any starting to grow yet) even though I planted them about two months ago? The leaves are looking healthy and they're growing big, they are just not showing any sign of fruit (or veggie).

No comments: