Monday, December 05, 2011

First Deer for Tamsey

About to go out hunting with hubby.

He's not big, but he's the one I felt comfortable shooting in terms of his position.  Frankly, I was afraid if I didn't shoot soon, I wouldn't do it.  I was shaking, but still managed a kill shot (with much urgent praying under my breath).  I was excited and scared at the same time.  I was mostly scared that I had wounded him, but not lethally, and that we wouldn't find him.  Max was sure that it was a kill shot, but against my husband's instruction (we practiced shooting the rifle a few times beforehand and I was supposed to stay looking up), I pretty much collapsed after shooting into a ball of nerves, not watching to see where I shot,  just looking up a bit after the shot to see that I had hit him because of the jump he made.  He lay down for a while after that in the field and then decided to go die in the woods.  Upon finding his body, I cried, not because I regretted shooting him, but for two reasons... 1) it was sad because he was beautiful and I had killed him and 2) because I was so thankful to God that I had actually successfully hunted big game, an experience I wasn't sure I would ever have with my husband, but about which my husband (and I, eventually) was very hopeful, and also thankful for the meat - we love venison.  We had his tenderloins and back strap steaks and they were very tender and tasty.  About 3/4 of the meat was given to a family who helped us butcher him in our kitchen and really appreciates the meat as well.  We have a whole elk in the freezer already from Max's October hunting trip in Colroado. Thank you God for the meat and for the experience with my husband!

No comments: