Monday, May 15, 2006

Tamsey the Farm Girl...

...or maybe just a suburban girl. I grew up in Boston, specifically Brookline, on Beacon Street with no yard, just some bushes in front of our apartment building. The first time I mowed our lawn in Mississippi about six years ago, our first year of marriage, I used a manual push mower (with the rotating blades). I was so proud of myself until Max pointed out that there were "mohawks" in the grass because I hadn't figured out the whole overlapping thing while mowing. Since then (and before our current Kansas lawn) our yards have been either small or average size. At our yard in North Dakota I actually used a motorized mower and got the overlapping thing down. Yesterday, Mother's Day, Max treated me with the opportunity to mow our yard with our new (new for us) riding lawn mower. It is one I found at a yard sale for $200 and Max fixed it up with sharp blades and now the steering works! It was fun and a lot quicker than even a self-propelled lawn mower! I guess I'm easily amused...

1 comment:

Sarah/Robert said...

I got a riding mower for Mother's Day, also! Except we went with a new one (ouch!) from Sears because of being sort of mechanically-challenged (Robert's words). It should do us nicely for a few years.