Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Splinter Surprise

JB is sitting here in my lap with me while I write this post. He's happy because he likes to snuggle in the morning and because he no longer has a big splinter sticking into his big toe.

JB wore his cowboy boots to the playground yesterday because they are the only shoes he can put on by himself "like a big boy". However, they are still slightly big and difficult to run around with and climb at the playground so I let him take them off, including socks. JB has tough feet somehow and was able to walk and run in the wood chips without it hurting...probably a product of not liking to wear shoes very much, even in Colorado where there are a lot of "owie" things to step on, like a gravel driveway.

Since it is a wooden playground he ended up getting a big slinter sticking out of his big toe. It was one that would've been very easy to pull out if he would just let me. However, JB has a fear of getting splinters taken out because of an experience with a mass of splinters in his feet and something about his Dad holding him down to take them out...he does it out of love.

Anyway, he walked around limping and periodically complaining about it hurting. I told him that the only way I could make it feel better was by taking it out since he wouldn't even let me kiss it. We ended up leaving because limping around the playground wasn't much fun for him and he put up a fight when I tried to seize his foot.

He still complained about it hurting at home, but got distracted when he was standing on my lap writing with chalk on a post out on the patio (he had to stand on my lap to get to unchalked areas of the wooden post). While he was distracted I gently yanked (do those two words go together?) out the splinter from his toe. He said "ow" with a bit of a surprised look and then said "Mommy, it feels better!"

The other little munchkin has awoken now so I have to end this post, but I thought I'd share this little story in the world of Tamsey. BTW, JB says I'm doing a "good job" typing.

No comments: